The Pacific Training Centre for the Blind is currently looking for up to three individuals to provide services to its programs.
We require Blindness Skills Instructors and Project Managers who have proficiency in at least some of the following areas:
- Braille literacy
- Travel with the long white cane
- Adaptive technology, including JAWS, NVDA screen readers, and Voiceover
- Cooking and home management
- Job readiness, organizational and other life skills.
- Those with personal lived experience in these areas but with no formal teaching experience will also be considered.
Remuneration: $18 – $21 per hour for instructors; $21 – $25 per hour for managers. Number of Hours: Negotiable.
If you are interested in being considered as a contractor for the PTCB, please submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) which includes the following:
- Your contact information, including your email, phone, and home address.
- The number of years you have been living with vision loss.
- Two to three paragraphs outlining the personal attributes you will bring to a position with the PTCB (e.g. organizational, communication, leadership skills etc.)
- Two to three paragraphs outlining any work experience (paid or volunteer) you have had in the past 3 years giving details of your position(s) and responsibilities.
- Two to three paragraphs describing any formal education or training you have had in the areas of blindness skills, social work, teaching and related disciplines.
- At least four paragraphs describing in detail your independent blindness skills in each of the following areas: Braille; travel with the long white cane; screen readers and other talking and Braille technology; and life skills such as cooking and home management.
- At least three paragraphs describing any teaching experience (volunteer or paid) you would bring to a PTCB training position.
- The PTCB has a training philosophy and uses techniques which differ from more traditional approaches. Include two to three paragraphs outlining your understanding of the PTCB philosophy and training techniques.
- The PTCB recognizes that students often have multiple disabilities, including physical and mental health, and that training needs to be adapted to meet their needs. Include two to three paragraphs describing your understanding of “individualized approach to training”.
- Two to three paragraphs describing your ability and previous success to communicate effectively with students/colleagues/peers, work with others as a team member, consider different points of view, and accept constructive feedback from project managers on your performance.
- A paragraph describing why you would like to work for the PTCB.
- Two references including contact information. These should be individuals who can vouch for the information you have provided in this EOI.
EOIs will be considered immediately upon receipt. Please email your EOI as a Word attachment or accessible PDF to:
Pacific Training Centre for the Blind
817a Fort St
Victoria, BC, V8W 1H6